Tuesday, March 18, 2008

A Riff on Bodies: Gay Versus Adjunct

Warning: This is writing while thinking/reflecting on images of body...

When I'm in the classroom, I often feel like my discussion of being an adjunct--a part-timer--is more volatile or explosive than talking about being Gay. Also, I am not of the school of outing without reason. I'll out myself, but I won't be blatant--I also won't hide. But, honestly, it just does not come up that much. And if it does, it is brief. Being an adjunct is a different manner.

Being a part-timer directly impacts my pay, ease of access to students, resources, pay, etc. These are tangible elements with physical effects/impacts. And they impact my students more directly than my being gay. At least that's how I see it.

Strangely enough, I also think being a part-timer and being vocal about extraction part-time labor is much more threatening to administration than talking about lgbt/queer issues. Adjunct issues center on economics and exploitation directly, and many queer/lgbt issues do not deal directly with money. Power, yes; money, not as much.

This process is odd for me, but more and more I feel like I'm coming out as an adjunct and being mouthy--sort of--while my Gay identity is pretty content with who/what/where it is. Nobody has threatened my gay self or identity. My adjunct identity, however, stands under constant economic threat and surveillance.

Does this mean my adjunct body is now queer?

No comments: