Tuesday, March 18, 2008

The Queer Lever

Here's an uncomfortable question: As LGBT/Queer folk, do we ever make use of our queer status nature in order to give us an edge for committees, publication, hiring, etc. That is, do we extract value from our "oppressed" status and get more mileage out of it than other folks?

An example. Many years ago, I worked for a company where the manager was queer. This meant that when there were problems, stress, etc., the hetero folks were usually on the firing line before the queer folks. This also meant that when queer folks messed up, in a minor situation, it was often overlooked; if it could not be overlooked, then you were made to pay more severely than others. My point: as a queer in this position, I had an easier time getting and keeping the job by virtue of being gay--that's it. But I was also held to higher standards and expected to enforce the homo-hegemony, as it were. [I want to note here that all of the queer folks, me included, at this job site were white--so I have no clue how race played into the situation.]

If we have the chance to do so in Academia, do we exploit such situations?

Such issues demonstrate to our peers, students, and bosses who and what we are. And I think it is important to consider some of the queer benefits/perks as much as the oppressions and problems.

No comments: